Saturday, May 29, 2010

Are you sure he is Zheng He on the card?

To commemorate the 600th anniversary of Zheng He's ( previously Cheng Ho) voyage to the world, several postal administrations issued stamps depicting the portrait of Zheng He. It was good opportunity to realise maximum cards for this omnibus stamp issue with the same postcard. I sent the Zheng He portrait postcards to friends in China, Macau, Hong Kong and Singapore for that purpose. Several replies came back with the same question : "Are you sure he is Zheng He on the card ?", I was stunned by the question and began to ponder who could verify on the accuracy of the portrait. Yes, no one had seen an actual image of Zheng Ho, was he fat, was he thin ? No one knows. I threw the question back to my friends abroad " Are you sure he is NOT Zheng He on the card? ", no reply !. Anyway, the inscription at the back of the postcard indicated it was Zheng He on the card . Who really knows he was the Real Zheng He  on the card? Anyway, I had these maximum cards realised in my collection and I had seen numerous Zheng He MCs showing different images of the portrait of Zheng He.
  • Maximum card realised with "Zheng He" stamp issued in 2005, FDI pictorial Cancel @ Singapore

No comments:

Yang Dipertua Agong Maximum Card

  Yang Dipertua Agong Maximum Card concordant Postmark : Kuala Lumpur